Sunday, July 12, 2009

The Cab Ride

"Dupont Circle please" I told the driver as I climbed into his cab today.

"Where in Dupont?" he asked.

"Anywhere. I'll find it."

I don't recall much of the short trip from U Street and mostly was lost in thoughts about my 11:00 am meeting.

Arriving at the circle I handed him $6.00 for the $4.25 fare, giving him a five and a one.

He handed me the dollar bill back.

Not sure he understood I attempted to give him the dollar again and he silently waved it off.

This interchange dominated my thoughts today and I still ponder its meaning.

Maybe there is no meaning but that dollar bill is now on my refrigerator door and I see it each time I walk into the kitchen. I know I need to do something with it but for now it will remain there until I better understand.

1 comment:

rachaelgking said...

Hmmm. Only he will ever know, I suppose... but I'm sure you'll find the perfect way to pass it on.