Monday, July 2, 2007

Red Hot Monogamous Hawk Lovin'!

Was it as good for you as it was for me?

I never was really sure what my blog was about but now I know: it's about birds. My post below was featured on Wonkette.com and DCBlogs.com and has generated some interesting emails.

There are a lot of bird experts out there. And some of you scare me. You know who you are.

One thing I have learned is that hawks are monogamous, mating with the same individual for many years. In other words, hawks are like my parents. A Red-tailed Hawk will only take a new mate when its original mate dies.

As noted in
Wikipedia "During courtship, the male and female fly in wide circles while uttering shrill cries. The male performs aerial displays, diving steeply, then climbing again. After repeating this display several times, he approaches the female from above, and grasps her talons briefly with his own. Courtship flights last 10 minutes or more. Once the flight is completed, mating takes place. The male and female spiral to the ground, then land on a perch and preen each other. The female then tilts forward, allowing the male to mount her. Copulation lasts 5 to 10 seconds."

Yep, like my parents. Both times.

Happy Birthday to the sister of Herb of DC!

Photography Credit:
Nikographer: Jon McRay
Date: Winter 2006
Place: National Zoo
http://www.dcnature.com/

No comments: